nafex - [NAFEX] Apple variation

  • From: Ray Kaminski <rjkaminski@charter.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple variation
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 19:55:39 -0600

Orville

What Ed said about those listed apples might be true in one area but not necessarily so in another. Here in North East Wisconsin zone 4 and listed as 5 on some maps, Golden supreme is rated quite high. My orchard is about a half mile (the way crow flies) from the University of Wisc. Experiment station and they rate that apple around the top 3 of the many named varieties they have. I have it grafted two years ago and it has not produced for me but have tasted it there and look forward to growing it. Kensei, I have and it is a great sweet hard juicy apple that stores quite well and one I would highly recommend especially in zone 4+. One that is not very popular is the Honey Crisp because of flavor. Just the other day I brought some from the cooler and they are hard, crisp, juicy and tasteless. In fact my wife commented, you can get as much flavor from a glass of water as this apple has. I might add there are varieties they have that are numbered at this time that are superior to what is on the market but will not be available for a number of years. They have to be proven for hardiness. disease resistance and a lot of other items before they are released.
Ed: You recommended I go to the station regarding pear stoney pit virus, but that is the place I got it from in a scion exchange. They pulled out their European pears the same year I did and it is nasty disease that is quite common in this area. You will know when you have stoney pit when you cut into the fruit. Its called stoney for a reason, hard as a rock. Super group of people out there. Just a different look at things. Ray

  • [NAFEX] Apple variation, Ray Kaminski, 03/05/2003