nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Water sprouts - too many!

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Water sprouts - too many!
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 08:41:38 -0500

Hello,

If you want a "chemical" solution to sucker control, go here;

http://orchard.uvm.edu/uvmapple/pest/9697neapmg/wtrsprt.html

Later,
Tom

Gene Spears wrote:

        Related to the apple tree training discussion, does anyone have
suggestions on how to reduce the number of water sprouts on apple trees?
Winter seems to finally be loosening its grip & I've been pruning the last
few days.  I'm trying to keep my trees short enough to harvest most of the
fruit by hand, but my trees have other ideas.  I fear all the tree's energy
is going into making water sprouts (those sprouts that shoot up vertically
from every branch) with little left over for fruit production.

        Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

gene
spears@lmc.edu
Message archives are here: