nafex - [NAFEX] Apple tree training

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple tree training
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 13:26:48 -0500

Hello,

I am training an apple tree and have a couple questions regarding training.

What is the best method to weight (or tie) branches to grow in a more lateral
position, without
damaging the young branch?

My ultimate goal is an umbrella trained apple tree.

Secondly, I have read that a "weak" central leader is desirable, as it slows
tree height, but
still sends enough hormone down that other leaders do not emerge. What is
the best way to make a
central leader "weak"?

lastly, eventually I will have to remove the central leader to achive the
umbrella shape. When
is this done?

Thanks,
Tom