nafex - [NAFEX] Yuzu

  • From: <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Yuzu
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 09:25:26 -0600

I'd like to thank Paul for that wonderful article, a lot I didn't know about
Yuzu. What I do know is that it's a hardy plant, not as hardy as trifoliate
crosses, but it has no objectionable flavors, unlike citranges!!! Nagle
and that lot in TX did some breeding work with Yuzu and turned out several
crosses, the best of which they called "Clemyuzu 3-3". I tasted one of them
last month at Chris Inhulsen's place, it was alright but I think Yuzu is
better. I have eaten a Yuzu that Mike Cartwright sent me, the skin is very
pleasant and fragrant to eat, the juice very sharply sour.
The most important thing to know about Yuzu is that you must either buy
from a reputable nursery, or graft your own from someone you trust to send
you scions from the upper branches of a fruiting tree. Yuzu typically takes
15 years to crop from seed, so that companies that sell seedling citrus like
Woodlanders and Oregon Exotics will provide only frustration and
disappointment.
If any of you ever get hold of a lot of sour citrus fruit, Marian Van
Atta provided a recipe years ago for "Old Sour". This was, if I remember
correctly, a teaspoon of salt per pint of lime juice. It would ferment and
could be kept on the shelf in the hottest weather. I have done it, and it
was good. I used it mostly for limeade, but it would be excellent for
flavoring. Donna

  • [NAFEX] Yuzu, redherring, 03/01/2003