nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Strawberries in Maine

  • From: "Ray Thomas" <RayNMary@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Strawberries in Maine
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:04:38 -0500

Mr. Bunker,
>From the thawing Chesterfield, Virginia zone 7. Yea!
Are you recommending them then for this area? What do you cover your
Strawberries with? Straw, leaves, Alfalfa hay? Maybe I should be asking how
large is your strawberry patch or is it a huge PYO patch? Some of those
items would be cost prohibitive. Would love to know when to order and where.
Do you replant each year or let the runners go? Also, are these everbearing,
day-neutral or June bearing? I do love to make jams, conserves and
strawberry any way there is to eat them. So to me taste is paramount!
We moved here from 9B so the whole scene is different from the Gulf Coast
where we had a Mini Orchard in the back yard. Mostly, Citrus. And Yes, my
Mexican Lime dropped all of its' leaves when I brought it in the house. I
feel the change in temperature and moisture is responsible for that though.
It will leaf out again when I wrestle it back outside.
Thanks for your help!
Ray and Mary