nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Re: scion wood

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Re: scion wood
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:22:23 -0600

At 10:52 AM 2/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
I got this question from a friend, any information out there or scionwood?

Gordon, do you know any thing about a black walnut called Cannon Ball? Ty Ty nursery in Georgia is advertising it. They say it is four times as large as Thomas and cracks out four times the kernel as Thomas. I have never seen any one advertising grafts or scion wood and Ty Ty only advertises seedlings. I was planning on ordering one of their seedlings but after reading all the horror stories from different people who have ordered from them on the internet I decided against it.

I've seen that one listed in the TyTy catalog, and I've ordered from TyTy on one or two occasions - only things I could not find anywhere else - and I'd never order from them again. Nothing like receiving scrawny little plants, in full leaf, in mid-February here in KY. It's a wonder anything survived, and I'm not totally convinced that I got the varieties I ordered - hell, they may just be seedlings.
No guarantee that a 'Cannon Ball' seedling would produce nuts anything like the original - and all I've seen are photos of the nut - still encased in its husk. I've got a couple of native BWs that produce a HUGE nut - but it's mostly husk, and even though the nut itself is bigger than average, it's got a real thick shell, too.

I'm familiar with one named "Football II", which has ~30% kernel, 22 nuts/lb; has no anthracnose resistance, but Larry Harper recommends it for mid- to southern areas, so I don't know how it'd do in MI.
Best BW for my area is Thomas Myers(aka Hay, I think) - 28 nuts/lb, 38% kernel, anthracnose-resistant. Really thin shell - I can crack 'em by stomping on 'em with my foot. Finally got a 'take' of "Clermont" last year - it's got THE thinnest shell I've ever seen on a BW - I think Nebraska NGA offers it - may be listed as 'Yates Clermont'.
I looked at Bud Luers' list, and he doesn't have 'Cannon Ball' in his collection.

Larry offers a pretty good selection of BW scionwood - about 15 varieties, from his Harper Hill Farm, 908 Danforth Dr., Columbia, MO 65201, 573-442-5326, email: lharper@tranquility.net

I'll be cutting scions sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. Anything you need?
I've got a really good red mulberry(M.rubra) that you might be interested in. Big berries, heavy producer, good taste.

I was out looking at last year's grafts the other day - think I got one surviving "King of the Road', but don't believe I got any takes of "Jarrett", from the scions you sent last year. I had several pecan/hickory grafts that took, leafed out, but then everything - including the rootstock, died back to the root collar. Don't know what happened there.

Lucky