nafex - [NAFEX] gilloghy(sp?)avacado

  • From: jthomaj@netscape.net (jon l thoma)
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] gilloghy(sp?)avacado
  • Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 09:42:31 -0500

A few years back there was an article in POMONA about the Gilloghy avacado.I
am going by memory here,but I believe it was supposed to have the ability to
set fruit without pollinization from another avacado.I have one-it is now
about 5 feet tall and is beginnig its second bloom.Last year I tried
pollination between flowers with a very small paintbrush(since I am in West
Virginia and the avacado has to be indoors).No fruit.Am I doing the right
thing(paintbrush pollination)to get fruit?Unless I can somehow change the
date of bloom,I will not have the luxury of pollinating insects that are
available outdoors.No fruit Question #2:I've had a SHIPOVA pear/ash cross
from Russia for about ten years now and it has never bloomed at all.Will it
ever? lloydy

http://webmail.netscape.com/

  • [NAFEX] gilloghy(sp?)avacado, jon l thoma, 02/08/2003