nafex - [NAFEX] Reinette Rouge Étoilée / Nomenclature

  • From: "Sgroppino Farms" <sgroppino@sgroppino.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Reinette Rouge Étoilée / Nomenclature
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 18:29:54 -0500

Dear NAFEX Members:

I recently joined NAFEX to learn more about growing heirloom apples and the process of beginning a home heirloom apple orchard.  I’ve been able to find practically all of the varieties I’ve been after with the exception of one:  Reinette Rouge Étoilée.  I’m hoping someone on this list may have some suggestions as to who may have this variety here in the States.  I’ve already spoken with Nick Botner in Oregon, Joyce Neighbors in Alabama and John Bunker here in Maine.  I’ve also done searches for it via the Internet, yet can only find it in the UK.  Botner has a variety called “Reinette Étoilée” on his list, but I’m finding that this is another name for a variety called Reine des Reinettes which I believe may be something different altogether.  The Book of Apples list Reinette Rouge Étoilée as having the following two synonyms:  Calville Étoilée and Early Red Calville of Hogg.  I’ve also seen it referred to as Rote Sternrenette.  Is anyone on the list growing this apple?  I’m very interested in tracking down some scion wood for grafting this Spring and am open to any suggestions for suppliers.  Any thoughts on nomenclature regarding this variety would be greatly appreciated, as well.  Thanks.

John A Gasbarre

Sgroppino Farms

Union, Maine

sgroppino@sgroppino.com