nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Geneva 16

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Geneva 16
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 08:25:02 -0500

How do trees catch viruses, anyway? I know they can get them from a graft, but there must be a natural way viruses spread, or we wouldn't have so many of them.

I wouldn't want a rootstock that's extremely susceptible to viruses in my backyard. It might be okay for a commercial grower who plans to take out many of his trees from time to time to keep up with the latest fad, and so doesn't mind that his trees are short-lived. But I don't have many trees, and can't give them idea conditions, so they grow rather slowly. Once I get something I like, I prefer if it doesn't just drop dead unexpectedly because it picked up some bug.

Ginda Fisher
eastern MA, zone 6