nafex - [NAFEX] Using preservatives in chocolate cherries

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Using preservatives in chocolate cherries
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 19:06:56 -0600

Hello everyone,

I have made some chocolate covered cherries this Xmas, and was pleased with the results. However, I have to freeze them in order to make sure that the cherry does not spoil inside the chocolate. I understand that I could put a huge amount of sugar with the cherry, as sugar acts as a preservative, but I'd rather not spoil the unique taste it already has.

I've noticed on organic fruit juices they use citric acid and ascorbic acid to preserve the juice. Does anyone know of what quantity of these substances to use, or the method of using, in my situation? I am especially interested in 'organic' preservatives as I am importing organic chocolate as well.

Thanks for the help!

Dean Kreutzer
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
USDA Zone 3