nafex - [NAFEX] Minkler Apple

  • From: applehilorchard@webtv.net (Lee Elliott)
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Minkler Apple
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 06:51:02 -0600 (CST)

Also called Minkler molasses, presses to cider as rich and dark and
sweet (brix of 17) Resembles molasses when pressed, used as the sweet
apple in my cider blend. All I know about it was that Granddad had 20
acres of these back in 1920 at the old Thomas S. Smith orchard near
Patterson, Illinois. I obtained scions from southern Illinois and
started several trees in 1994. Who knows the history of this fine
apple, it's not listed in the Fruit,Berry and Nut Inventory Book but I
see the Christian Homestead Nursery has scions available. Lee Elliuott,
Apple Hill Orchard of Scott County, Illinois