nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Geraldi dwarf mulberry

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Geraldi dwarf mulberry
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 12:58:27 -0600

At 10:12 AM 1/4/2003 -0800, you wrote:
Hello all,

I am thinking about getting few of the Gerldi Mulberry
trees.

I wonder if anyone can comment on the fruit of this
tree as compared to
others?

I've got 4 that were purchased(by my wife) as 'dwarf mulberries' - it's been several years, and I don't recall now if they were Geraldi or just 'dwarf'. All were, I presumed, supposed to be the same, but they are not - one is a vigorous fruitless male(It's coming out soon!), two are pretty dwarfed - not over about 6 ft tall, six years after being planted, the fourth is *maybe* a semi-dwarf. Fruits on the three females are tiny - the birds eat them, but even my kids don't bother eating them.
Don't think I'd plant one again - much prefer a good M.rubra, or Illinois Everbearing. Even my weeping mulberry has larger, tastier berries than the dwarfs., and it's pretty small, staturewise, in its own right.

Lucky