nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Amelanchier

  • From: "Bill Russell" <shaman@pennswoods.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Amelanchier
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 10:36:38 -0500

Jim,

While we have a good variety of butterflies here, spicebush swallowtails
have been declining in this area since I began watching them as a little
boy. It's a rare treat to see one now. There is also a large beautiful moth
(I forgot the name), whose larva uses spicebush, that has likewise virtually
disappeared here. I hope that whatever is decimating the spicebush plants
here does not reach your area. The related sasafrass trees do not seem to be
affected.

When I see wild plants and butterflies declining, I feel as if I am seeing
some symbols of the joy and uplifting beauty of life diminished. I wonder if
I should think of these changes as part of the normal flow of the natural
world and go with the flow. Or should I think of these as the result of some
unhealthy aspect of our life style? "Ask not for whom the bell tolls..."

And yet, it's hard to think of summer things while we are enjoying playing
in the deep snow that has blanketed the whole northeast. I know that the
tiny grape vines that I planted late last spring are benefiting from the
protective snow mulch. And the summer draught that left the reservoirs
uncomfortably low will be filled again in the spring thaw.

Bill

Bill