nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Box Rabbit Trap

  • From: nottke <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Box Rabbit Trap
  • Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 07:43:08 -0400

Tom,

I went out and measured my two well-used rabbit traps made from hollow
Sourwood tree logs about 140 years ago. One has a round hole just under 6
inches, the other hole is oval 6 inches by 7 inches, with the 7 inch
dimension used as the opening height. They are 18 and 21 inches long. The
rabbits here are small, certainly not the huge jackrabbits that we had in
Eugene, Oregon, or in Texas.

The traps were used by my wife's relatives to catch rabbits for food, and
my brother-in-law tells stories about how effective these two traps are,
though I confess that I have not used them, yet.

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC
Hardiness Zone 7A