nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Box Rabbit Trap

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Box Rabbit Trap
  • Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 20:57:59 -0800

Thomas Olenio wrote:

Hello All,

I have a rabbit box trap (live trap) question for anyone who has built one.

According to the plan I have, the interior length of the trap is 22" long.
The interior width is
6" wide. However, the plan does not give an interior height dimension for
the trap.

Based on your average rabbit, how tall should the opening of the trap be?

To me, 6" seems to be a very narrow width, but I have never built a trap, and
I am not really
familiar with the habits of rabbits (holes they will enter, versus those they
will not enter).

I am not going to buy a trap, as this is a father son Scout project that gets
the boys working on
my rabbit problem (not a major one, just a nuisance).

I have a place where I can set the rabbits free and not impact anyone. A
local rabbit hobbyist
freed dozens of his pets a few years ago on his farm, and he now feeds
HUNDREDS of them living
wild on his property. A couple more from me will not impact the problem he
created for his
neighbors. One of his neighbors described he year he loosed the rabbits "as
if a plague of
locusts went through". Makes you cringe don't it?

Any suggestions appreciated on the interior height of the trap. I have the
trigger all worked
out.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you.

Later,
Tom

All the box traps I have built and used have had 10" wide by 12" high trap doors.
The longer the better, but I have built them as short as 16"
Usually 24" deep to use the full amount of plywood.
Really depends on getting the best layout of your plywood or boards.
Sam