nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Fireside and Regent

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Fireside and Regent
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 12:35:11 -0800

Welcome to NAFEX.
I grow Fireside in Seattle. The two favorite apples in my collection
currently are Fireside and Golden Russet. Seattle is on the warmer side of
zone 7. I like apples that are sweet and not real tart. Fireside is a
great apple right off the tree in September. Golden Russet is best after it
mellows off the tree for a while. My favorite apple would probably have to
be Golden Russet since it is somewhat scab resistant due to its russet, it
produces every year, and it is a good keeper. A few days ago I picked a
Golden Russet that was still hanging on the tree. It was sweet and crispy.
I found this tree on a bike trail on what was probably an old homestead.
Finding this tree with fruit still hanging was an early Christmas present
for my tastebuds.
-Mark Lee, Seattle, z7