nafex - [NAFEX] Idaho Codling Moth

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Idaho Codling Moth
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:34:35 -0500

Jim:

There are lots of problems with codling moth here too, and I think the full-coverage kaolin spray called "Surround" is pretty effective against them. But even though Surround is non-toxic, non-chemical, and has had many good reports, I have not tried it yet.

Instead, I run two 40 watt black light traps in the orchard at night, all summer long. Mine are manufactured by the Stinger Co., and cost about $40 each. Coverage of each trap is estimated at about 1/2 acre. These traps eliminate a whole lot of moths, but exactly how many are codling moths I cannot say, since most insects can't be accurately identified once they been through the high voltage. But I also have a lot of trouble with oriental fruit moth on stone fruits, and I don't know of any beneficial moths, so I figure the best moth of any sort is a dead one. The traps also kill a lot of night-flying, leaf-chewing beetles. I hang the lights from tree branches with S-hooks made from No. 9 wire, and move them around once in a while.

Of course, this is only practical where you have an electrical source close enough that you can reach the trap with an extension cord. It is a bit of a chore to roll up the cords when the time comes to mow. And every evening I have to plug them in, and unplug in the morning. But I am pretty well convinced that codling moth damage on my apples has been sharply reduced. And if you don't like moths, the traps make a satisfying frying sound as the moth goes to his eternal reward.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

  • [NAFEX] Idaho Codling Moth, Don Yellman, 12/12/2002