nafex - Re: [NAFEX] last meteor storm(off topic)

  • From: "Steve N. Dulaney" <dulaney@wvi.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] last meteor storm(off topic)
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 14:18:13 -0800

Hello,

Yes, the Leonids do come every year, but the shower is very weak and irregular. This year should be a nice meteor storm, that is, over 1000 meteors per hour. Current prediction models are expecting around 2500 meteors per hour here on the west coast. Last year's storm was spectacular, I observed about 2000 meteors per hour practically out my back door. Some friends who ventured over onto the dry side of Oregon observed in excess of 3000 meteors per hour. That is almost a meteor every second. Due gravitational perturbations of the dust trails by Jupiter, this will be the last storm we can expect for 99 years. Try this web site for the latest prediction:

http://www.ursa.fi/ursa/jaostot/meteorit/leoeng02.html

Regards,
Steve N. Dulaney

Phil Norris wrote:
Del,

What's this about it being the last shower for 100 years? The Leonids come every year and they have all my life. I think you've been led down the garden path!

Phil Norris
East Blue Hill Maine