nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Figs as container plants

  • From: "Kristina & Bruce" <herenorthere@lycos.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Figs as container plants
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:21:19 -0500

>Does anyone have any experience with growing figs as container plants? I'm
>in zone 6a in southern Missouri, and think of an indoor/outdoor arrangement.
>Also, what varieties would you recommend? I was thinking of the Brown
>Turkey (Eastern).
>How about a source? Any recommendations?
>
>Thanks,
>-----Suzi Teghtmeyer

I grow figs in pots here near Hartford, CT. For guidance, you can do no
better than the NAFEX fig interest group page by Ray Givans or his own site
at http://web.infoave.net/%7Ethegivans/. Mine are dormant outside right now
and will get a few coats of WiltPruf and be wrapped up in burlap before going
into the garage later this month. It's a drafty, 80 year old detached
garage, so they get pretty cold in there. My main tree is a Hardy Chicago
and I also have a couple youngish white fig trees, one of which might be a
Brunswick. That one didn't ripen the figs it started late this year, but the
other, which gets large stripey amber colored figs with a white interior,
ripened a couple. Both of the white fig trees are from cuttings started in
late summer 2001 and they're approaching 2 ft now. A lot of cutting trading
goes on and it's a great way to build a collection. I can send you a couple
from the Hardy Chicago if you want to try that variety. Commercial sources
(of anyth
ing other than the Brown Turkey) are rather pricey, given the ease of
propagation and relatively fast growth.
Bruce in CT, Zone 6

Outgrown your current e-mail service? Get 25MB Storage, POP3 Access,
Advanced Spam protection with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.