nafex - [NAFEX] Antique Apples for Antietam

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Antique Apples for Antietam
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:02:52 -0500

Gordon:

There is an item in the Washington Post of Nov. 12 about the replanting of apples near the Antietam battlefield in Southern Maryland. Antietam is said to have been the single bloodiest battle of the Civil War. According to the article, varieties to be planted are Baldwin, English Russet, Fornwalder, Gilpin, Jefferis, Maidenblush, McLellan, and Northern Spy, a total of 350 trees. The article says the trees are sourced from Michigan, but they don't say where. My guess would be Southmeadow. They don't say whether the trees will be standards, but I suppose so if they want to be authentic.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

  • [NAFEX] Antique Apples for Antietam, Don Yellman, 11/13/2002