nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bugbear virus

  • From: "Bob Kelly" <Bkelly66@bellsouth.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bugbear virus
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:08:48 -0600

Derry, here is what the Snope site says. Hope it helps.

Bob

Virus name: Bugbear (also known as Tanatos).

Origins: Bugbear is a mass-mailing worm that, once it infects a
target system, can log keystrokes, enable a backdoor trojan, and stop
antivirus and firewall programs. It replicates itself by sending out e-mail
to addresses harvested from infected systems using subject lines such as the
following:

a.. 25 merchants and rising
b.. Announcement
c.. bad news
d.. CALL FOR INFORMATION!
e.. click on this!
f.. Correction of errors
g.. Cows
h.. Daily Email Reminder
i.. empty account
j.. fantastic
k.. free shipping!
l.. Get 8 FREE issues - no risk!
m.. Get a FREE gift!
n.. Greets!
o.. Hello!
p.. Hi!
q.. history screen
r.. hmm..
s.. I need help about script!!!
t.. Interesting...
u.. Introduction
v.. its easy
w.. Just a reminder
x.. Lost & Found
y.. Market Update Report
z.. Membership Confirmation
aa.. My eBay ads
ab.. New bonus in your cash account
ac.. New Contests
ad.. new reading
ae.. News
af.. Payment notices
ag.. Please Help...
ah.. Re: $150 FREE Bonus!
ai.. Report
aj.. SCAM alert!!!
ak.. Sponsors needed
al.. Stats
am.. Today Only
an.. Tools For Your Online Business
ao.. update
ap.. various
aq.. Warning!
ar.. wow!
as.. Your Gift
at.. Your News Alert
The messages sent out by Bugbear can exploit vulnerabilities in some
versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Outlook that enable it
to execute automatically when an infected e-mail is viewed. You can protect
your PC from infection by Bugbear by downloading and installing the
preventive patches offered by Microsoft for these security holes in
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-027 and the Cumulative Patch for Internet
Explorer Q323759.

If your system has already been infected by Bugbear, a removal tool
can be obtained from the Symantec or from F-Secure.

See the links below for more information on how to detect and remove
Bugbear.

Additional information: W32.Bugbear@mm
(Symantec Security Response)
Bugbear
(F-Secure)
W32/Bugbear@MM
(McAfee Virus Information Library)
More articles about Bugbear
Last updated: 7 October 2002

The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/bugbear.htm
Click here to e-mail this page to a friend
Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995