nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pollen and Warren Pear

  • From: Edgar Nutans <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pollen and Warren Pear
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 19:00:21 -0500

That is on p. 48 of the 2003 "Trees of Antiquity" catalog.
Thanks to all for clearing this up.
Edgar
fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:

It was written:

As I pored over nursery catalogs lately, I noticed that one catalog claims that 'Warren' pear is self-pollinating. Is this true? Does it actually set good crops by itself? (I have a small yard).

My reply:

Warren is not self fertile. In fact, like Magness it has such weak scent
that insects are attracted to about everything else.

For those whom would be content with just a few Warren pears I have two suggestions.
One espalier the darn tree and then use a paintbrush to hand pollinate it. Or, train a
six arm palmette form of espalier and graft 3 different varieties, Warren in the
middle. I did this and it was going very well until the animals girdled the tree at
the snow line. i imagine a triple "u" espalier would work as well.

I mention this because I tried the multiple graft "tree" approach with Warren
and Magness. This simply does not work very well as the insects avoid the
Magness/Warren part of the tree. However by sandwiching the Magness/Warren in a tight
espalier form the insects seem to stumble over them on their way the other varieties
flowers.

Once again, the home grower is presented with viable options that are simply
not practical for a commercial orchard.

By the by, what catalog was this? This is a very big error.
All the best,

the fluffy(supremely confident in his masculinity)bunny