nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pollen and Warren Pear

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pollen and Warren Pear
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:55:32 -0500

Dearest Supreme:

Your email address constantly bounces!

Any ideas??

ed
----- Original Message -----
From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 11:50 AM
Subject: [NAFEX] Pollen and Warren Pear

> It was written:
>
> As I pored over nursery catalogs lately, I noticed that one catalog
> claims that 'Warren' pear is self-pollinating. Is this true? Does it
> actually set good crops by itself? (I have a small yard).
>
> My reply:
>
> Warren is not self fertile. In fact, like Magness it has such weak scent
that insects are attracted to about everything else.

> For those whom would be content with just a few Warren pears I have two
suggestions. One espalier the darn tree and then use a paintbrush to hand
pollinate it. Or, train a six arm palmette form of espalier and graft 3
different varieties, Warren in the middle. I did this and it was going
very well until the animals girdled the tree at the snow line. i imagine a
triple "u" espalier would work as well.

> I mention this because I tried the multiple graft "tree" approach with
Warren and Magness. This simply does not work very well as the insects
avoid the Magness/Warren part of the tree. However by sandwiching the
Magness/Warren in a tight espalier form the insects seem to stumble over
them on their way the other varieties flowers.

> Once again, the home grower is presented with viable options that are
simply not practical for a commercial orchard.