nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jujube Seeds - stratification

  • From: Horticulture Ventures <hortventures@cox.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jujube Seeds - stratification
  • Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 14:42:39 -0800

In my experience, seed of named jujube cultivars may not be viable, even with stratification.

A grower in our areas uses seed set on suckers that emerge below the graft union. Such seedling rootstock shoots are very thorny and produce small fruit, but the seeds are 100% viable.

The grower places the seed in a vice and slowly squeezes the seed until the hard covering cracks. As I recall, this seed will germinate immediately if provided bottom heat is apply, even without previously cold storage.

Claude Sweeet
San Diego, CA

Lon J. Rombough wrote:

Easiest way is to go ahead and stratify them. Put them in moist peat (not
soggy) in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator. Then plant them in spring.
-Lon Rombough

plain text ONLY!
Message archives are here:
To view your user options go to: http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX (where XXXX@XXXX is YOUR email address)