nafex - [NAFEX] seed preparation help

  • From: Edgar Nutans <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] seed preparation help
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 19:16:43 -0500

Does anyone out there have practical experience with using mancozeb (Manzate) as a seed treatment for apples/ pears?
I would like to stratify some seed without having them mold and I noticed that Manzate (which I have on hand) is labelled for seed treatment for some crops. However, the recommended rate is "0.04-4.32 pounds/ 100 lbs. of seed"!
First of all that's quite a range and secondly, I only have a few dozen seed. The Manzate I have is as a 37% solution. Is the concentration all that critical or would anywhere within the recommended range work?

On a completely unrelated topic, I thought I should warn any NAFEXers who may not have heard of the goings-on at Southmeadow Fruit Gardens. They cashed a check of mine and never delivered the trees a couple of years ago. I tried repeatedly to get them to send the trees by contacting them via email, letter and phone. They always promised, but never delivered. Since then, I have reported this problem with fellow fruit enthusiasts, the US Postal Service, the appropriate BBB and the State of Michigan Attorney General. Many people have had the same thing happen. Bottom line, unless you are ready to sue for your merchandise, don't order from them.

Thanks,

Edgrrrrr