nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Wickson

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Wickson
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 07:39:44 -0600

At 04:23 PM 10/28/2002 -0500, David Ulmer wrote:
I agree that the Chestnut crab was excellent.  Another good crab is Wickson that grows well in northern California.  Has anyone else tried it?

I bought and planted a Wickson from Bear Creek, back in 95 or 96.  I'm thinking it must have been mislabeled.
Has produced maybe a handful of fruits over the past two seasons, more reminiscent of Lodi than a good edible crab, though perhaps not so large as Lodi, especially for a relatively large semidwarf tree with only 5 or 6 fruits on it.  Early ripening , rather flavorless and mealy.  Makes me think it's probably NOT Wickson.  Fireblight hit it hard this year - some blossom infection, and a second wave infecting and killing most, if not all the grafts of red-fleshed varieties I worked onto it.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY