nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Questions on Favored Eating apples

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Questions on Favored Eating apples
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 03:19:02 -0500

Richard, Fluffster and anyone interested:

Spigold needs to be on a rootstock which radically influences annual
cropping, like M9, B9, etc. John Creech has hundreds on P-22 which he
likes. As you well know, Spigold is heavily influenced by its N. Spy parent
or very shy until fully mature. Also, in year 4, one can induce production
by
trunk scoring or ringing the trunk with a knife (I used a hawkbill knife,
but
any which is sharp will work) immediately post bloom.
Fireblight is best managed by several influences (aside from the use of
strep.). Light pruning during the early years is possibly the most
beneficial
thing one can do (not do!). All trees are hyper sensative to fireblight
when
they are young and vigorous (with an overly active growth). And any severe
pruning will only enhance this rank growth.
Strep applications need to be made within 24 hours of infection and at
night to reduce sunlight degradation. And infection occurs when three
factors
occur simultaneously. 1. Entry (bloom or hail injury) 2. Temps. of
60-65+.
3 Moisture present. (Even a heavy dew is enough).
Copper applications during late dormancy may help.

I'd be interested in hearing about your expereinces with Sansa. Up
here,
the apple was far better than Gala or one of the best in that season.

ed, heaven, etc.