nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Good grief - what an apple

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Good grief - what an apple
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 07:42:29 -0400

Dear lil 'ole:

Yes, Honeycrisp embraces some if not most of the characters which
should be introduced into all apples.
Others which possess such qualities include GoldRush (post picking by
1-2 months), Sweet 16 (when grown up north), Freyberg (most anywhere),
Suncrisp (anywhere, but expect fireblight) and Spigold (although difficult
to grow). While that "Honeycrisp" texture is somewhat lacking in all these,
they all possess incredible flavor nuaces. Or those you don't forget.
Sansa is another which approaches this as does the new Sundance.
The only other apples I've ever eaten which has texture approaching
that of Honeycrisp is the old Japanese variety, Orin and a newer one from
France called Delbard Estivale. Distantly, Fuji has this texture.

That is about all I have to say about that (quoting Tom Hanks in the
movie, Forest Gump)..,

ed, so. ind. heaven, etc.