nafex - [NAFEX] Blushing Golden Apple

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blushing Golden Apple
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 21:14:41 -0400

Mr. Bunny:

Blushing Golden was once a variety exclusive to Stark Bros.; I'm not sure if it still is. Stark Bros. don't tell you much about the trees they sell, not even roostock type, but I strongly suspect BG is a sport of Golden Delicious. The take on BG is that it is a very late apple, at least a month later than Golden Delicious, and that it has a more tart, spicy flavor than Golden Delicious. It is also said to be an excellent keeper, which would not be surprising for a sport of Golden Delicious. It is supposed to develop a pink blush over the yellow background when fully ripe.

I planted a Blushing Golden five years ago, lured by one of Stark Bros. end-of season sales. About half price. You can't be sure of the rootstock with Stark Bros., but it looks to be on M-7. This year it set a good crop of fruit on the very nicely shaped young tree. But most of the fruit did not fill out properly, although it was thinned to one per cluster, and it all dropped prematurely. My apple trees (but not the pears) suffered a moderate-to-severe bout with fireblight this summer, and Blushing Golden was one of the hardest hit. I kept snipping the fireblight off the tree (and many others), and I suspect the fireblight was also responsible for the premature drop. When the little half-grown apples came down, they appeared similar to Golden Delicious, perhaps a bit more conical in shape. However, many of my other trees suffered fireblight attacks, and it did not cause such a complete fruit drop.

Only time will tell whether this fireblight infection, which was far more widespread on the apples than I had ever seen before, will return to haunt me next season. This summer was extremely hot and humid here (2nd warmest on record), but I don't think that alone was responsible for the severe infection. If it does not recur, I may be able to ripen out Blushing Golden next year.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA