nafex - [NAFEX] re: barberry

  • From: Bob and Winnie <natvwine@cut.net>
  • To: nafex list post <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] re: barberry
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 17:54:36 -0600

Mark,

I'm not sure which species you are wondering about. I myself have used
the fruits of Berberis repens, a native sp. common throughout the west
U.S. It makes a fabulous wine that has a unique "smoky" flavor. It is
also great when combined in small amounts with home made jerky
especially elk. This is how our local native Indians used it.
I believe that most if not all species would make a fine jelly or jam.
Right now I have about 15 gals of Berberis wine vinegar that I have high
hopes for; rich dark red color, complex flavor and from what you read
(for what that's worth) it probably has mild antibacterial/viral
properties.
bob/z4/utah

> A month ago I sent a message asking about experience growing barberry for
> its fruit. I had one reply from India (thanks Dr. Parmar). What I'm
> looking for is a reply from an American fruit explorer that knows anything
> about barberry as an edible. I know Berberis aristata is used in Middle
> Eastern rice dishes in dried form similar to raisins. Maybe the work to
> eradicate barberry as a host for grain diseases has turned people off to the
> possibilities for barberry in the edible landscape. Any interest in this
> fruit?
> -Mark Lee, Seattle

  • [NAFEX] re: barberry, Bob and Winnie, 10/12/2002