nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Donna and quince

  • From: "Pete B" <pete@cmpsource.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Donna and quince
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 19:56:41 -0500

Hi Donna
Here is something on quince. I have a few trees.(2 from Hidden Springs)I left the headers on to give credit to those who I got them from.
Pete

Posted by: ASA S sweden (asasto@spray.se) on Tue, Dec 11, 01 at 15:00

Quince and strawberryjam is great. Just slice a couple of quinces into the strawberries when you make strawberryjam it makes the jam thicker and it will gett a wonderful flavour.

RE: Quince recipes

Posted by: oldroser 5 (My Page) on Sun, Dec 23, 01 at 21:38

I used to do this when I had more time and energy than sense. Slice up quinces and cut into matchstick lengths. I no longer bother to peel them. Cook with water to just cover until tender. Measure and add equal amount of sugar and cook until it sheets off the spoon and a little dropped on a cold plate will jell. Pour into sterilized half pint jars with self-sealing lids. (I usually process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes just to be sure.) As they cool, shake and keep inverting jars to be sure fruit is distributed through the gel. If you goof on this, sitting jars in hot water to melt and then shaking helps. No pectin is necessary as quinces have a lot of that already