nafex - [NAFEX] RE: Chaenomeles quince recipes

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] RE: Chaenomeles quince recipes
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 13:02:25 -0400

Donna wrote:
>Normally I won't have anything to do with a
>fruit that is only good for jelly making, but there is nothing like the
>fragrance of quinces. Does anyone have any recipes for quince in more
>normal foods, like in desserts, or as the "lemon" content of other foods?

Arrived in our kitchen last night to the smell of steam extracted
Chaenomeles quince juice. We, too have Toyo Nishiki from Hidden Springs
Nursery, and I gather Chaenomeles quince from several homes in our area. We
make mental note of locations during late winter bloom. Everyone is glad to
get rid of the fruit upon our asking.
We canned four quarts of juice last night. The aroma is heavenly, and is
imparted to baked goods. We use quince juice in place of lemon juice, one
to one, for recipes such as lemon pound cake. Our favorite is quince juice
in our no-bake granola recipe. The juice is so sour that an open jar keeps
several months under refrigeration. We happened on this one in our quest
for a lemon juice substitute. It's local, works, and has the aroma as a
bonus.
Richard Moyer
East Tenn, Zone 6, 1800'

  • [NAFEX] RE: Chaenomeles quince recipes, Moyer, Richard, 10/03/2002