nafex - Re: [NAFEX] replanting apple trees

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] replanting apple trees
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 08:04:37 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

It is the old roots that will be your issue. Roots compete using
biological warfare, or they try to kill each other.

That said, dig a large hole 5-6 feet across, remove all the old roots, and
plant the new tree in the center of the hole. By the time the roots of
the new tree reach the old roots beyond your planting hole, they will be
long dead, and not an issue.

Get out as many of the old large roots that you can.

Later,
Tom

--
Southwest Ontario