nafex - Re: [NAFEX] FW: a real johnny appleseed tree

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] FW: a real johnny appleseed tree
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:38:49 -0500

At 03:30 AM 9/28/2002 +0000, you wrote:
Is it worth pointing out that all those trees would most probably be dead now, and the fellow should be looking for successive grafted & budded trees ?

There was one surviving tree, in Ohio, I think, that they had pretty conclusively documented to have been one of the last trees John Chapman planted - a 'Rambo' type. I've seen grafted selections of it offered from various places - Stark Bros, American Forests, etc.

http://www.historictrees.org/TreeDirectory/Treeinfo.asp?TK=2500

The site linked above refers to the "special" T-budding process used to clone this Johnny Tree, and they advise you two buy TWO of them to insure good crops. Hmm. Guess they don't really understand about cross-pollination, or they just want to sell more trees. And who wouldn't, at nearly $45 per tree, plus shipping!?!