nafex - Re: [NAFEX] changing scientific nomenclature

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] changing scientific nomenclature
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 22:00:57 +0000

Here are those websites. Depending on how much time you have to prepare your talk, and how much time you have to talk, there should be plenty of info in these, but some you may have to dig around in. It might be helpful to watch for the [no idea why the computer wants a big space here/ wouldn't let me type 'words' on that line]words 'taxonomy', 'nomenclature', 'synonyms', and always 'Links' & 'Site Maps' !

www.itis.usda.gov/ The Integrated Taxonomic Info System, from the
USDA partnering with some Canada & Mexico agencies.

//plants.usda.gov An NRCS site; I found the Links possibly the
most helpful.

old address //wiscinfo.doit.wisc.edu/herbarium
new address www.botany.wisc.edu/wisflora
The UW-Madison Herbarium website, might be only WI collections,
but should include recent name changes for those.

www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/aboutgrin.html The USDA's Agricultural
Research Service site. Seems to not be very useful, but it
should include somewhere a publication called "The Uniform
Classification of Weed & Crop Seeds." This is a huge
reference text used by the seed testing industry to stay on
top of what's a weed vs crop vs range species, and what the
current Latin names are. If you find it, think twice before
opening or downloading. (In your digging you might also find
a state-by-state listing of Noxious weeds; should be user-
friendly if you only want one state's list at a time.)

If you are into seeds, check out www.seedtechnology.net & its Links.

And let me know if you have any trouble with any of these !

tc