nafex - [NAFEX] interstem suckering

  • From: "Edible Forest" <edforest99@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] interstem suckering
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 02:00:55 +0000

Lucky, I have many trees on mm111 interstems and don't have any suckering to speak of. Burknots yes, or what I believe are aerial roots but no suckers, in fact I am amazed 111 vigorous as it is, wouldn't send up tons of suckers when forced to be dwarfed by a full dwarf like m9 or bud 9. (All mine are on bud 9, not m9)
Now I have had a lot of suckering with p 22 grafted to antonovka but then I buried the union so that antonovka was completely below ground. This experiment was not completed however.
Wondering about others experiences with interstems and the burying of the first union to prevent suckering and improve anchoring.
Kevin Bradley

  • [NAFEX] interstem suckering, Edible Forest, 09/21/2002