nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Miniature Apple Trees

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Miniature Apple Trees
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 05:59:28 -0400

Doreen:

My good friend, the late Bob Kurle simply loved using M27 as an
understock for the back yard.
Over the years we (Rocky) budded many varieties to this stock, but
never really sold that many. Basically because not much publicity
(nationally) was done on them and their unique benefits to backyard growers.
We also used them as an understock for many crab cvs.
We also used M27 as an interstem which resulted in a tree of around 7'.
However, this combination resulted in massive and annual suckering from the
MM111 understock.
One generally unknown reason why Gene has been so successful (aside
from his great skills) is that he is planting in a very protected location
(esp. from windstorms).
Of all the rootstocks in that size class, M27 is the best. P22 is
hypersensative to fireblight and WAA, as is Bud. 491. All are sensative to
drought because of a very limited and shallow root system. And of course,
in most all locations, life-long support is MANDATORY.
The late Loren Tukey (Penn State) used them extensively and was
convinced that they had some resistance to fireblight.

Ed, So. Indiana, heaven, etc.