nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Dolomite Limestone

  • From: "Margie Luffman" <luffmanm@agr.gc.ca>
  • To: <Mauch1@aol.com>, <nafex@ibiblio.org>, <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Dolomite Limestone
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:54:37 -0400

Dolomitic limestone has both calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate while
regular limestone is just calcium carbonate. According to my very old
handbook it takes 86 pounds of dolomitic limestone to equal 100 pounds of
regular limestone in correcting acidity. Typically, dolomitic limestone is
used when there is a need for magnesium.

Dolomite is a rock consisting mainly of calcium and magnesium carbonate. It
was named for D.G. de Dolomieu, a French geologist (1750-1801).

Margie

Margie Luffman
Curator, Canadian Clonal Genebank Program
Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada
Greenhouse and Processing Crops Research Centre
2585 County Road 20
Harrow, Ontario
N0R 1G0

Phone: 519-738-2251 ext. 474
Fax: 519-738-2929
E-mail:luffmanm@agr.gc.ca

>>> Mauch1@aol.com 09/12/02 09:41am >>>
I think the main question is whether you have acidic soil,
or acid rain in your area. If so, it's probably a good idea.
I believe Over time the dolomite will break down (unlike the
sand).

Does anybody know/remember whether dolomitic limestone is
Calcium or magnesium (or a combination of both?) limestone?

I know an Amish nurseryman who uses dolomite on his peaches
for help against some pest, but I can't remember what pest.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6