nafex - [NAFEX] More New Apples

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] More New Apples
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:03:46 -0500

First, thanks to everyone who shared their experiences and opinions on apple
varieties new to the market.

Second, I've noticed Pink Lady or Cripps Pink Lady is being sold extensively
in grocery stores now. It's a good tasting apple with firm, crisp flesh.
Does anyone know about it? Could it be a variety that has been renamed or
is it strictly commercial due to the chemicals needed to produce a saleable
apple?

Third, are there any columnar or pillar type apples on the market that
actually produce decent fruit?

You all have probably figured out that I'm writing an article on new apple
varieties. I always value the collective wisdom of this group and, by
picking your brains, I turn up the most interesting stuff. Thanks all!
Doreen Howard