nafex - Re: [NAFEX] germinating hazelnut from seed..

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] germinating hazelnut from seed..
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 18:34:35 -0400

I have never planted a fresh filbert. I save and give away many seed to friends. I myself have done as Lucky has with store bought seed of good sizes. I also soaked seed for up to a good week because of the hard shell. I have had very good success.

Gordon C. Nofs
Flint, MI.
I've planted hazlenuts and you MUST plant them fresh - if they dry out they
are no good. If you leave them in an unheated greenhouse, it's better if it
doesn't freeze inside. It's common for them to germinate and send down a
root in the fall, then emerge in spring. But if the soil in the pot freezes
it can damage the root. Also, be sure no rodents can get to them, or you
may find little holes with tiny footprints around them, and no nut left.
Otherwise, put them into stratification immediately, in the refrigerator,
and plant them in spring.
-Lon Rombough