nafex - [NAFEX] Albemarle Pippin & Empire

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Albemarle Pippin & Empire
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:19:40 -0400

Bruce:

It has always been my understanding that Yellow Newtown originated on Long Island in New York, and that when extensive cultivation of the variety began in Virginia in the 1700's, it was simply given a new name. Albemarle is the name of a Virginia County, which has its seat in Charlottesville, but I have never heard that Albemarle County claims to have originated this apple. The story goes that it then became the most popular export apple to England, because of its high quality and ability to withstand the rigors of long sea voyages without much deterioration. It does keep very well.

For Sam Franc:

No disagreement that Empire is subject to bullseye, or certainly some type of rot. So are several others of my apple varieties, and I have never been able to figure out what to do about it. This season I added calcium (2 oz/gal) and lime/sulphur 3/4 oz/gal) to the spray mix, and that seems to have helped a little, but it's no cure. Cox's Orange is also very sensitive to this type of rot. If I get the apples down in time, just when ripe, and into the cooler, it seems to stop it. Other than that, Empire holds up well and suffers less insect damage than many other varieties in this climate. And Empire is a heavy, annual cropper for me; never takes a year off. But I repeat my observation that Spartan, which does not seem to be commonly grown in the Mid-Atlantic region, seems to have better flavor than Empire.

Have you ever found anything effective against bullseye rot on apples?

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA