nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pawpaws during drought

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pawpaws during drought
  • Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 18:57:56 -0400

Lucky
Is that the name you gave the A. P.?
I like it.
I didn't get Tin Barn to take this year.
Neal Peterson e-mailed me to see if I got any takes to his Ornamental. I got two growing on my one mother tree. I lost about 10 pawpaws because I cut the grass so that when I was done it was around the grow tubes of the trees. Pawpaws didn't take the heat that was generated a even with the grow tubes. I was trying to figure out why I lost most of the pawpaw seedlings. It is the only answer. One that did make it did not get much clippings. I know better than to put green mulch within a foot of the trees, but I thought that the tree tubes would take care of it. Most were 3 foot grafts from the year before and the others were grafts I done this year that were doing so good. New seedling going in as soon as the ground gets a soaking. Soon I hope.

Gordon C. Nofs
Flint, MI.
My A.parviflora selection, "Trash Pile", is still hanging in there, though.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY