nafex - [NAFEX] Eggs on Apple Leaf

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Eggs on Apple Leaf
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:55:11 -0400

This evening, I looked at my young Jonathan apple, and noticed that the underside of one leaf was about half covered with tiny gray eggs. The leaf was otherwise healthy. the eggs adhered somehow to the hairs on the leaf. There was a tiny spider hanging out with the eggs. Most of the eggs were intact, but a few were black and ruined. The eggs were in a single layer, densely packed together. They were nearly spherical, and pearly gray. Each was about 1mm across. The insides of a few that I broke were just goo - no baby bug, yet.

Do you think the spider was protecting the eggs (hers?) or eating them?

Unless I hear a good case for the eggs belonging to the spider, I plan to remove the leaf and destroy them.

Thanks,
Ginda