nafex - Re: [NAFEX] VEGETERIAN

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] VEGETERIAN
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:17:40 -0400

Bradford pears are not edible, unless you are a small bird. Neither is barberry, for that matter, although I've seen it used quite effectively as a privacy hedge.

(Yes, I've popped fruit from both in my mouth, just to see. Neither is remotely worth eating. I suppose if the fruits were 8 times as big, it might be worth cooking them to remove the flavor. . .)

I grant that some edible plants can be invasive, and we would be most responsible by recognizing that and using care in choosing our plants with respect for the environment, and not just for our own pleasure. I worried about this when importing some west coast huckleberries (although they seem so barely hardy that I'm no longer concerned.) But it's hardly fair of you to accuse a "fruit explorer" group of propagating invasive plants that don't even have useful fruit.

Peace,
Ginda