nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wasps

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wasps
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:25:51 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] wasps
During most of the season, wasps and yellowjackets mainly search out meat (other insects usually) to feed developing larvae.  This late in the season, they have stopped raising young and are most living on fruit for themselves.  If you find and poison the nest, you will be rid of them, but if the new queens haven't moved out to find a place to overwinter yet, you will be decreasing next year's crop of wasps.  And, as noted, they are very beneficial at keeping pests at bay during most of the year since they eat a lot of things like aphids.
   To make a long story short, the best thing to do now is set out wasp traps - containers full of sweet liquid with a one-way opening.  This will trap the workers with much less chance of destroying the young queens.  You may need to set a LOT of them though, if the population is heavy.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on The Grape Grower at http://www.bunchgrapes.com