nafex - [NAFEX] Encouraging Container Figs

  • From: VBGarden@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Encouraging Container Figs
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:54:15 EDT

I second the advice already posted on container growing figs.  At least every second or third year, before the fig is put out for summer growing, the tree should be removed from the container and both lightly root pruned and branch pruned to encourage new growth and fruiting.  Replace at least 1/3 of the soil with new dirt, adding compost* or well-balanced fertilizer, some lime and watering the pot in well when replanted.

*compost being the real thing, not just half-rotted stuff from the backyard.

Sounds like the trees have been surviving, but may have been pretty stressed.  An adequate container is important, not only for  proper root growth but also to prevent drying out - Miekal is right, if the figs dry out they will not set or ripen decent fruit and will drop any figs that they may have been forming.

Both Petite Nigra (Dwarf Violette) and Chicago Hardy fruit on new wood for me, so I would be looking to get some real growth started.  We have noted that figs kept too long in cramped containers seem to "give up" and will no longer initiate decent growth - even from cuttings.  Although normally you'd repot in the early spring, we've had good luck repotting rescued figs in the fall and letting the roots continue to grow during the winter.  Our "winters" in the protected but unheated houses are milder, however, with the temperatures falling only into the twenties, so the figs can continue to extend roots even while dormant on top.

Good luck!

Sybil

Sybil Mays
Paradise Nursery Gourmet Fruit Plants