nafex - [NAFEX] Che & Osage Orange rootstock

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Che & Osage Orange rootstock
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:24:17 -0500

At 06:01 PM 08/20/2002 -0400, Richard wrote:
3) Did a lengthy post several years ago on Che. In short, our 'male'
reverted to a female and now we have two "seedless females".
I think I've still got that post archived in my files; if anyone's interested, I can pull it back up and re-post it to this list, as it may or may not still be in the archives - I think that was back when we were on e-list.

Anyone producing
osage orange rootstock by seed or root cuttings?
I dug some suckers from a young OO in the cowpasture that I've been bush-hogging yearly for the past 7 or 8 years. Also have a few OO seedlings going, but I've not pushed them, so they're not going to be large enough to graft next spring.
OO is easy to grow from seed - I had picked up a few fruits and pitched 'em in the back of the pickup, where they spent the winter, bletting to a sodden, fleshy mass; in spring, the seeds germinated with what seemed like a 100% rate. If you've got access to OO fruits, you can grow seedlings, no problem. If you don't have access to them, email me, and I can provide you with all you need.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY