nafex - [NAFEX] Che Propagation

  • From: VBGarden@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Che Propagation
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:21:44 EDT

Hi, NAFEXers -

I'm trying sending this email from the list website to see if that will cut off all the junk at the bottom - like some others of you, I can't figure out how to get my message in there without making you read all the goobledy-gook at the end. Wonder if it's caused by my server (AOL)? Lon, any advice?

Our Che is now 3 years old and about 5' by 5'.  It set fruit last year which dropped, apparently not uncommon for young Che.  This year the fruit has held on and is turning red.  So far no bird interest, despite the thrashers who nested in the next bush.  Could it be our 400 fruiting blackberry bushes distracted them? <grin>

Ours has no thorns and no real suckers (although it is currently very low branching).  It is grafted on osage orange and it appears that's the way to go.  The variegated Che I admired at the Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh was own root and both suckering and  gifted with LARGE thorns.  So do I understand from the more experience Che growers that the difference in growth habits is from the root-stock?

Speaking of berries, just an informal report from our area of the south (eastern VA, where the drought is rampant) - the extraordinary heat, consistently in the 90's, and dry has been very hard on blueberries but the blackberry harvest was excellent quality and duration.  We picked Arapaho, Navaho and Black Satin for over six weeks - the berries stay firm and good-sized and this year's crop was the sweetest Black Satin we've ever had.  (Although an older thornless and often "dissed" for it's tartness, Black Satin survives our frequent flooding from hurricanes and nor'easters with no problems and we still enjoy it for all the berry cooking we do.)

Sybil
Paradise Nursery - Figs & Fruit Plants

"Our image of what makes a paradise always returns to the image of a beautiful and fruitful garden."  -- Jeff Cox

  • [NAFEX] Che Propagation, VBGarden, 08/21/2002