nafex - [NAFEX] Ripening Figs Before Frost

  • From: VBGarden@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: dporter@birdwatching.com
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ripening Figs Before Frost
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:08:19 EDT

Diane -  We have many fig customers with short growing seasons. Since you have your figs close to a wall, you can experiment with creating a lean-to "greenhouse" by stretching clear plastic to a lightweight wooden frame which can be leaned against the wall for support.  Inside the protected area, the figs seem to continue ripening without cold damage. Do not use the plastic when the weather is warm!

Also, on a current note, when a fig wilts it is showing severe stress.  The heat of your pots could be causing root damage.  If it is that hot, please move the figs & pots away from the wall.You don't want to roast them!  The real advantage of a south-facing wall is in the spring and fall to extend the available warmth, rather than exaggerating the heat of summer.  If a fig is in ground, where the roots can remain cool, a south-facing wall is universally recommended, but remember that in ground your fig roots would never, never be getting as hot as they are in those pots.  Stress can prevent fruit ripening and cause premature fruit drop.  Celeste seems to be a particularly good fig for northern climates, according to our more northern customers, because the small fruit set early and ripen quickly.

I think you may also find that you have more success with earlier fruit set and better ripening as the trees get a bit older.

Good luck with your figs!

Sybil

Sybil Mays
mays@paradisenursery.com
Paradise Nursery - Figs & Fruit Plants
6385 Blackwater Road
Virginia Beach VA 23457
757-421-0201 FAX 757-421-7043

  • [NAFEX] Ripening Figs Before Frost, VBGarden, 08/19/2002