nafex - [NAFEX] tree death

  • From: "Bill Russell" <shaman@pennswoods.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] tree death
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:40:47 -0400

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on what is happening with my apple tree.

A few years ago a friend grafted my dying (wonderful but unidentified)
ancient backyard apple tree onto a semidwarf rootstock. It has grown nicely
and produced it's first blossoms this spring. However, we had a severe late
spring frost that removed the leaves. So far, the leaves have not returned
and the tree looks dead. Other trees,vines, bushes etc. that were affected
have revived.

What's happening here? Is this a common occurrence? Can I expect the tree to
leaf out in the spring?

Bill